Your search results

Did you ever think of studying in the USA?

Posted by Helena Grossberg on January 18, 2014
| 0


To Study in the USA.

Many people think of studying in the USA, or know someone who would like to go to the college here.
Here are ten steps for a foreign student to do it correctly.

1. Choose a School: Do your research and choose a college, a school, or a program that has the SEVP certificate. This is the Student Exchange Visitor Program, which authorizes a student to get a special visa to remain in the US during the program. An F student is one studying at the university level, while an M student is doing a vocational course, studying languages, or some other specific training.

2. Pay the School and the SEVIS I-901: Once you choose the right school, make the application, and once it is accepted, make sure you pay for the course and the SEVIS (Student Exchange Visitor Information System), which can be up to $200.

3. Get the Student Visa: Armed with the school documents (registration and payment) and SEVIS receipt, the American government authorizes the issuance of a student visa.

4. Trip Documents: Make copies of all your personal ID documents, as well as school documents. It is also helpful to get your medical and vaccine history. The best thing is to scan it all, and have it online to have it easily accessible. Make a second set of copies and leave it with someone you trust that can send it to you, in case it is necessary.

5. Prepare for the Trip: Do not travel without the name of the school contact information. You want to have the name and phone number of the Designated School Official, or DSO, in case customs asks for it.

6. Trip to the USA: The student is allowed to arrive up to 30 days prior to the classes’ start to become familiar with the surroundings.

7. Benefits of Students F/M: As an international student, you can take your driver’s license, a social security card, and in some cases, as part of the curriculum, you may even work with some restrictions.

8. Maintain Status: Once an international student, it is very important to maintain this status, going to classes, and adhering to the requirements of the course.

9. In Case of Trouble: The first contact is always your DSO, or the official responsible for the foreign students at the school. In case they cannot resolve the issue, the American government has a department that can help.

10. At the End of the Course: When the program ends, there are a few options:
Continue studying at the next level, such as a master’s program.
Transfer to another school or different program.
Participate in some programs that allow working at field of study.
Consult an attorney for a visa exchange.
Return to country of origin

You can find below a few interesting links for international students that are non-residents of the state of Florida:
International Students – List of Florida Universities
Residency Requirement for Tuition Purposes
SEVIS Information

Good to know. Come by our offices to have a cup of coffee. Buy and sell with confidence.

  • Preconstruction Condo Map